October 19, 2013

The Type of Paint You Should Use On Furniture

Last week I talked about getting a smooth paint finish on furniture.  If you missed that post -- you can get caught up here.   But what type of paint to use is also worth knowing.  When I first started painting furniture, I was unsure of the type of paint I should be using for the best finish.  I've used many different paints and here is a recap of what I've learned!


The Type of Paint To Use on Furniture


The important thing to know is that ANY paint will make your furniture come together a LOT better.  Whether it's name brand paint, off brand paint, or a combination of both. The end result will be similar.  

For example, this black dresser was painted with a Behr paint.  It was $35 a gallon.  I also used a paint sprayer (and added water of course!).  Turned out nice right?

The Type of Paint To Use on Furniture


Then there is the antique white dresser done with my homemade chalk paint.  I combined an off brand primer, off brand paint, WATER, and painted this one by hand.

The Type of Paint To Use on Furniture


The end result was great on both.  The difference?  Price! As I mentioned, the Behr paint was $35 a gallon.  I had actually bought the paint to do the doors in my house and had extra leftover. I would never buy a $35 gallon of paint for furniture projects...shish what were you thinking!

The paint I used on the white dresser was found in the Oops section of Walmart.  I can't remember what I paid for them, but I never pay over $5.00 for Oops paint...so I would say under $5!

What is Oops paint you ask?  It is just what it sounds like.  The paint associate at Walmart...or Home Depot (or whatever store carries paint) mixes the paint wrong or a customer changes their mind.  These stores are just trying to make a buck off of the paint instead of trashing it. I found out about Oops paint online.  When I first set out to purchase some, I just asked the paint associate at the store were it was.  They know exactly what you are asking for.  

Some examples.....

The Type of Paint To Use on Furniture


The Type of Paint To Use on Furniture


The Type of Paint To Use on Furniture


I love all the paints I've ever bought (name brand or off brand) and never had any application issues with any of them.

It is OK to mix different paints together to create your own.  My antique white dresser - as mentioned - was painted with a combination of white primer, a beige color paint, some Plaster of Paris, and of course....water.  It doesn't matter what type of mixture you put together, the end result will look fantastic.  What is really important is what finishing product you use!

I will talk about finishing products next week so make sure you check back to get all the deets.

Have a great weekend everyone!

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of oops paint before. I'll have to ask around next time I'm at Walmart or Home Depot, sounds like a great idea.

    Britni @ Play. Party. Pin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth a try. Just remember that they update them daily...

      Delete
  2. I'm sure other people have tried other types of paint before deciding on their favorite, but no one else seems to talk about it! I'm glad that you mentioned (and liked) what you've tried, and didn't just mentioned chalk paint or milk paint, etc. I haven't painted any furniture yet, but do have some to paint--and have always had the same paint question! Can't wait to hear what you think about the finishing products! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chalk paints and milk paints are great...but honestly...the same end result can be achieved with any paint. People need to know!!!

      Delete
  3. I'm exciting to see what you say about finishing. I'll be staying tuned for that! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading each and every one of them! Thanks for stopping by!