March 1, 2013

The Black Dresser – Before & After

IMG_2001-001


After sitting practically naked for over a year, this thrift store dresser finally got the makeover it deserved.  I wrote about this dresser here, and mentioned how nervous and undecided I was about redoing it.

Just so you have an idea of what I was dealing with...here’s a before…


IMG_0875-001 


It wasn't horrible, but not a very current style either. However, everything about this dresser was functional and that's probably why it took so long for me to redo it.


IMG_19661


The drawers are huge. I love it. This thing holds sooooo much junk it's unbelievable! Only issue was that my stuff kept falling through that crack at the bottom of the drawer.  Oh and the lining was pretty gross too.



IMG_2000


This guy didn't need much prep work. Just some slight drawer repair and a light sanding. You can see the holes in the top and there were cracks in certain areas, but I wanted to keep everything original...so I left them as-is.

I applied two coats of paint (no priming), sanded the edges with my electric hand sander to get the aged look, and then applied a coat of Anne Sloan Clear Wax.


IMG_1998-001


I threw some clear knobs on the top drawers and some grey pulls on the larger drawers.


IMG_2010-001




IMG_2006-001




Pic 7


And here are the inside of the drawers. Totally a last minute idea, and super cute.


Pic 8


I just threw these music sheets in and used Modge Podge to secure them.


Pic 9




IMG_2001-001
   

Sooooo....what do you think? My favorite part are the clear knobs and the music sheet liners....and the fact that it's one of the cooler pieces of furniture I own now :)

And FYI - here’s the lowdown of what went into this piece…
Music sheets – thrift store find
Knobs - Hobby Lobby
Pulls – Menards
Paint – Behr Premium Plus ULTRA

button
button

27 comments:

  1. What an awesome re-do! Love the sheet music inside the drawers! I'm pinning this one for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pinning and for visiting!!!!

      Delete
  2. I love how you lined the drawers with sheet music!! Well done!!

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meredith :) They turned out nicer than I expected too!

      Delete
  3. I love how you made over this dresser! It's stunning. Thanks for visiting my link party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you!

      ps...I fixed the no reply :)-

      Delete
  5. Your dresser makeover turned out lovely. Love the new hardware you used and the color you painted it. Would love to have you link up to 'Saturday Sparks' if you have a chance.
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the music paper inside. That is going to be my next to do in a drawer. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The music sheet lining was so easy to do, and turned out really nice.

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous piece! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the redo! It looks so cute! I especially like the music-sheet drawer liners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment and thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. oh my goodness! I love this dresser and I LOVE that you put the music sheets in the drawers as liners. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the stopping by and checking out my dresser. The music sheets were really easy to apply and dried so quickly (I used Mod Podge for adhesive). I can't wait to use them on my next peice!

      xoxoxoxo
      Jessica

      Delete
  10. Love the transformation! Found you through Domestically Speaking, looking forward to following your blog.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm stopping over to check out your blog now :)

      Delete
  11. I featured this today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much! I'm gonna head on over and check it out!

      Delete
  12. Love the music sheet dresser liners! My little black dresser (which sits next to the piano) is getting these pronto!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodie!! I would love to see how it turns out! :) Have a great weekend.

      Jessica

      Delete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous! The black was a perfect color choice and you did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the peek a boo drawers! I have a nightstand made from a vintage vanity that I am doing that to! I love the black too! Great job.

    Char @ hisandherrestoration.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the musical drawers! Thanks so much for linking up to ITS PARTY TIME! Shared via G+ today. Hugs, Clydia

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and enjoy reading each and every one of them! Thanks for stopping by!